Friday, May 27, 2011

Summer Breakin' 3: Back to the Bugaloo

Thanks to Oprah I've decided I need to get back to blogging. I managed to catch a few minutes of her last show the other day. I can count the number of times I've caught a few minutes of Oprah since Oprah aired on one hand, so how I managed to catch this monumental time is beyond me. Miracle of all miracles, both Heath and Stella actually conked out that day for a post-potluck/ice cream social preschool affair nap, and I found myself flipping through the few channels available on our cableless television selection, sound off, closed-captioning on. I had a choice. Tyra or Oprah. Oprah won.

She said something poignant enough, I turned the TV off and let my mind do a little meditative resting/thinking. Had I blogged that night, I would actually be able to recall what she said that struck me. It seems my brain has a 12-hour capture and load capacity for any new information. If I don't write it down, it's as good as gone. And the days with kids, packed with hilarity and irritations and Heathisms and Stella-ese, I am not collecting all that I should.

So, today was the first day of our summer break, and I couldn't have asked for a better beginning. Kids slumbered until 8. Happily munched homemade banana bread for breakfast. Harmoniously viewed Super Why while I ran on the treadmill. Joyously visited a local bookstore, while eagerly selecting a birthday present for a preschool pal. Reasonably accepted no as an answer to all 1000 Can I get this? requests. Cooperatively breezed through Earth Fare to collect our basic milk needs. Conjured up a boat-building backyard project with some old wood, a stack of sticks, and a ball of twine. And despite a daddyless (Mark is on his bi-annual mountain pilgrimage/camping trip), downpour of a Friday evening, we managed a peaceful ending to a much-needed, well-oiled machine kind of day.

If only I could remember what Oprah said, I could probably do it again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages