Friday, February 11, 2011

My Funny Valentine(s)

I started the day off with telling two of my favorite loves, Happy Valentine's Day. I officially got around to asking them to declare their love while they were eating breakfast. Stella responded, More 'ogurt, please. Then I asked Heath if he would be my Valentine. He initially said, No, then managed to have an unprompted change of heart, and gave me a rather unenthusiastic and loaded with burden, Okay.

But I already knew I was pressing my luck with those two. Lately it seems Heath has much love for one particular person. It started yesterday, running in the glorious sunshine, when the topic of our Holden Beach trip came up. We all expressed our anxious desire to get that date, ASAP. And later in the day, Heath expressed his desire to have a certain sleeping arrangement during our HB time. I want to sleep beside Stella, really close, because I love her so much.

And even later in the day, when it was bathtime, in usual fashion, Heath ran as far away from the tub as possible, claiming he would get in when Stella was finished, and Stella stood by the tub, alternating between throwing toys in the warm, sudsy water, and taking her clothes off. Just as I was making my way to do the actual body cleaning portion of bathtime, it seemed Heath beat me to the punch. He was kneeling by the edge of the tub, giving Stella a bath.

Now, let's put shampoo on your head, he said calmly, and Stella calmly let him rub soap all over her head. Now, I'm going to dump water on your head to rinse it out. I'll do it five times. One, two, three, hold your hands over your eyes like I do, Stella, four, five.

And she let him. Dump water. On her head. Five times. Without a peep. And not just without a peep, but a sweet smile on her face. When I dare to mention rinsing the shampoo out of her hair, I am met with screeches that can be heard across our backyard.

His next course of action was to wash her face. He put a small amount of body wash on the cloth, then began to run gentle circles about her face, neck, shoulders, belly. Again, not a single protest.
Here, you're all finished, Stella. I'll help you out and I'll get in.

A without-fuss bathtime. Those don't happen here everyday. After he completed his own bath, Heath came into Stella's room and complimented her on her flowery footie pajamas. Cute, he called them. Then he gave her another hug, because I love her so much, he explained.

Of course, when she knocked over his expertly lined-up series of trains across the living room floor this morning, I assure you he gave her a good shout and shove. I guess he figures it's good to keep your Valentine on their toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages