Monday, February 7, 2011

The Sand Box 2011

I just saw 58 degrees and sunny on Tuesday the 15th. I'm not sure I could be any more tired of the winter.

Which is why we made the decision to book our dear Holden Beach house for the week of Heath's Spring Break. A fun-filled week of sun (of course it's April, so...), sand (rain or shine, the kids can roam nature's sand box, pushing trucks to their heart's delight), and running on the flattest 5K beach sidewalk known to man. Oh, and that incredible ice cream joint in Southport. How many more days 'til we leave?

Heath woke me up last night at midnight inquiring about his bowl of grapes and milk. I'd been asleep for about an hour, needless to say, I was disoriented and had no idea what he was talking about. As I corralled him back to his bed, he further explained that daddy had given him grapes and milk just before he went to bed, woke up thirsty and hungry, and was surprised to find that what was leftover was no longer bedside. I told him I would be back with some water and grapes momentarily, but he needed to stay in bed, further pressing the point that it's the middle of the night.

As I rounded the corner of the steps into the kitchen, the downstairs (we have one of those rockin' 1969 split-levels) caught my eye. All the lights were on, and the guest bedroom door, momentarily housing Granny, was wide open. I carefully walked down the steps, mentally preparing myself for finding a bewildered lady.

Sure enough, Granny was walking circles around the playroom. I sort of gave her the same It's the Middle of the Night speech I'd just given Heath, but kept it short and sweet, while corralling her back into her room. She was out of her pajamas, fully dressed in day clothes, bed made, bags packed, and expressing thoughts that led me to believe her whereabouts were currently a source of confusion.

She mentioned Stratford Road, a street in Winston-Salem, and asked me did I drive up there tonight, and then said, I won't go back outside again, because I don't want to get lost. The word again was most jarring. I asked her if she'd been outside. She said, no, and I believed her because the backdoor had clearly been untouched and not unlocked.

I got her back in her pajamas, and back into bed, but was not certain she was any clearer on where she was and what she was doing when I found her. There was just something in her face. Confusion with a sad mix of trust. I could tell she genuinely knew who I was and was safe with that, but not much else.

Meanwhile, Heath was waiting for his grapes and water with surprising patience. He directed me to put them by his bed, then inquired about the original grapes and milk from earlier in the evening. Did you take those? he accused.

No, Daddy brought those to you.

Did he take them? he asked further.

I'm sure he thought you were finished.

You go tell him not to do that ever again, he instructed, then rolled over on his side, giving Puppy a hearty squeeze.

I'll be sure to pass the message along.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages