Sunday, October 3, 2010

So Many Girlfriends, So Little Time

Somehow, during the middle of this whole week of preoccupation and sickness, Heath managed to get a new girlfriend. Friday evening he told us he would be spending the night at her house two nights a week, and would then stay with us the remaining days.

Yesterday, on our way to Freedom Park, we passed a wedding processional outside one of the Myers Park churches. The bridesmaids huddled together, dressed in shiny Pumpkin-colored strapless, knee-length dresses, each lady holding a single Calla Lily. We ooed and awed over the perfect October wedding attire, accompanied by the perfect October weather. Heat is gone, chill hasn't set in.

Heath said, My girlfriend is at a wedding this weekend. I couldn't go. I had to work.

This evening, as we drove to Papa and HeHe's house to celebrate Papa's birthday, we saw dozens of pumpkins on front stoops and Autumnal house flags waving in the dusk breeze. It's almost Halloween, Mark cheered.

I'm gonna be Wolverine* and my girlfriend is going to be a Princess. She's going to be out of town for Halloween. I'll just have to take another girlfriend.

I was just getting used to the mention of the original girlfriend, so you can imagine my surprise when he brought up a second. I suppose he may be spending some of his remaining evenings with her. Unless, of course, he has to work.


*This is one of many costume statements. He has also proclaimed to be Wolverine, Thor, Batman, Batboy, Spider-Man, Pumpkin, Lady Bug, Bee, Monster Bee, Pirate Boy, and a blue Bakugan Dragon. I'm rooting for the Monster Bee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages