Saturday, November 6, 2010

It's Not Really Fire, It's a Fruit Roll-Up

A fire-breathing dragon cake...


...for one very special birthday boy.

At various times throughout the day, Heath has said, I'm four. I was three, and now I'm four. Sometimes he would hold up three fingers, then four. Sometimes he would count to four. And everytime, he said it with an air of amazement, like it's even shocking to him that he could possibly be so very old.

I know the feeling. I still can't believe it.

But I can celebrate it. And celebrate it, we did. All day long.

He has been anticipating this day for weeks now. And he had three requests for this special deal. 1) A party with his friends. 2) A party with basketball playing and a bouncy house. And 3) A Dragon Cake. A red, wait, no, orange. No, blue. No, no, yellow. No, orange. No, red. No, orange dragon cake. Made with Tootsie Rolls and Hummus.

I am all about accommodating as many requests as possible for my children, within reason, of course. But a hummus cake? Hmmm...that's going in the unreasonable pile.

We managed everything else, though. So after a morning of Heath inquiring how much longer until we go to my party, we went, and we gathered with his friends and family. Basketball was played. A house was bounced in. A little bowling ball was tossed into some easy, free-flying pins. And a dragon cake--orange, no hummus (at least not in the cake), with a tootsie roll nose--was happily consumed.

When his sweet, little friends departed, and we were heading to the car, a beaming Heath proclaimed, That was a GREAT party.

I am so glad my sweet boy thought so. My sweet boy who was three, but is now four years old.

That's going to take some getting used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages