Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Fear of Being Eaten Alive By a Bear Takes a Backseat

Turns out that this little race that I'm running on Saturday, the one that I stumbled across on a web site during a late night of insomnia a couple of months ago, is worthy of mention in The Wall Street Journal. The August 17, 2010 article is entitled, Making Marathons Even Tougher. The gist is trail running is really (insert expletive here) hard. It also mentions that it is easier on the joints, and the race culture is kinder as well. I can certainly attest to all three assertions.

I've been notably nervous about this race, then my trail pal enjoyed an afternoon of sending me links to women who will be running on Saturday. These women, and their abs, calves, and nerves of steel, run twice the length of a 10k in the same amount of time it takes me to finish my 6.2. As the WJS article reads, A runner who covers 10 flat kilometers (6.2 miles) in 45 minutes would likely need an hour or more to finish the Continental Divide 10-kilometer trail race on Aug. 28 in Laurel Springs, N.C. (There goes another expletive.)

No worries, though. We get a tech tee, a water bottle, some stickers, a gorgeous spot to run in, and a chance to watch the USATF National Trail Champions race to the finish. Not that I will be anywhere near the winners. Apparently they will have finished, collected their medals and cash prizes, wolfed down a couple of bagels, showered, and headed back home by the time I'm done.

The matter of real importance--which running skirt should I wear?

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052748703960004575427561884547420-lMyQjAxMTAwMDEwODExNDgyWj.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages