Wednesday, August 18, 2010

If I Had a Title...Oh Wait...

That was yesterday. I keep asking myself why the heck I insist on doing this, but I keep doing it anyway. It's 10:55 (it was 10:51 and I wrote a bunch of lines then hit my elbow on a key and it deleted everything, so here we are), it's 10:55 and my evening was swallowed whole by the fact that the kids didn't get to bed until after 9, then I dared to re-crack the seal on the envelope that's been sitting on the kitchen counter. It's been taunting me for weeks; I just couldn't take the mean looks and sneers anymore.

It contains all the information that is due to the preschool for both Heath and Stella. It's essentially a dissertation on their habits, temperaments, bedtime rituals, favorite books, etc. This is the third year I've filled these papers out for Heath. I'm tempted to write, Ditto from the last two years, only more of the same. And for Stella, See Heath Ropko (and picture all of that in a shorter, blonder, female package.)

Mark joined me at the kitchen table to help, and fill out the portion that refers to Parent B. (I am Parent A.) We both get to answer the same questions. What's your favorite thing about your child? What favorite activities do you do together? What makes you want to wring their neck? What do you actually do instead of literally wringing their neck? Was I grateful for the help and enthusiasm? For a minute or two. Then I got micro-manage-ey with his spelling and ability to convey HIS thoughts and feelings and ideas about HIS children. Good grief.

I actually got a chance to talk to Heath's new teacher today. She called to set up a home visit appointment in the next week. She sounds delightful, cheery, positive. After we'd talked for a while, she said she thought she knew Heath, was that right? I told her that she probably experienced Heath on the playground when he was out with his 3's class and she was with her 4's class. I further explained that Heath really enjoyed some of the boys from her class last year, and they played a Good Guys/Bad Guys game together.

Oh! she responded with enthusiasm. Then she seemed to pause and think for a bit. Oooohhh. Yes, yes, I DO know Heath.

Two more weeks until we begin that adventure. And I STILL didn't finish those papers.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages