Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Gimp's Sleeping

A friend was coming over at 4:30, so after a busy morning of peach cobbler making, swim lessoning, and total toy thrashing and house destruction, I thought I could get Heath and Stella to take a little snooze, and even manage a little 3 and a half miles before our guest arrived. Stella was instantly out when I put her in her crib. I covered her sweet little body with her Beanky, stuffed Chuckie Wabbie under the covers, and quietly tiptoed across the floor to close the door and silently wish her pleasant nap dreams.

Before I could even sit back down with Heath to read Gus Naps, The Jog, and Al Can (a collection of books from some Leap Frog DVD something-or-other my parents gave him for Christmas. Hooked on phonics. Nap, cap, rap. Og can jog over the log. Can, man, ran.) I heard giggling. I was positive it was coming from Stella's room, but she was so sound asleep moments ago, how could she possibly be awake? So I shushed Heath's rhyming momentarily to intently listen to what I hoped was Stella laughing in her sleep.

It was Stella. But she was not asleep. The giggling continued. And the chatting. And the occasional thud on the floor of falling (more like thrown) toys and books. This went on and on. Through 3 rounds of the Gus, Al, Og, Meg, and Izzy books. Heath drifted off to sleep at 3, and Stella was still going strong. I nodded off for a few moments, awakening only to the sounds of more laughter and chattering echoing from the little girl's room. At 3:30 Heath stirred, and I got up, ready to abandon naps entirely and get the kids out in the jogger.

Before I could pull both running socks on, Heath was back asleep, and the only thing I heard coming from Stella's room was silence. I peeled off my running garb, lounged back on the bed with a bag of crunchy pita chips, and watched Oprah interview J. Crew's Creative Director. It was a complete waste of time. I loved it.

How's that for some race training?

(I was all set to finish up that disc of It's Always Sunny in PA tonight--the very one we've been finishing for days. Guess who's snoring?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages