Saturday, September 4, 2010

Day One of Three


While eating breakfast, Mark casually suggested I suit up and head to the Whitewater Center for a long run. Feeling ever-so-guilty, I ran like a bat from the kitchen table, nearly choking on my Crispie Rice cereal, tripping over myself to get dressed and out of there before he could change my mind.

I have to say, I WILL run in 100 degree weather, but 75 felt unbelievably refreshing. Thanks to the map of the trails I purchased a visit or two ago, I showed up with a planned route. I started with Figure 8, headed onto North Trail, through Carpet Trail, into South Trail, looped Goat Hill (without stopping to walk), back onto the Main Trail, circled the Toilet Bowl, back onto the Main Trail to the parking lot. Nearly 9 miles I ran. Everytime I got daydreamy, I refocused. If there was a flat, or pretty darn close to flat, straight-away, I intentionally picked up the speed. I will be very ready for the half in the three weeks.

Surprises of all surprises, when I came home I found that the giant (and I do mean GIANT) mound of mulch had a sizable and impressive dent made in it by an equally impressive crew. Apparently Mark and Heath moved wheelbarrow full after wheelbarrow full of mulch to a variety of natural areas in our yard. Stella's face was filthy as though she'd been eating the mulch, which isn't entirely out of the realm of possible. Heath immediately said he was hungry and wanted to have a picnic in the backyard, so I made sandwiches for the hungry workers, and we ate lunch on the deck overlooking our groomed lawn.

To top off the Saturday of our three day weekend, Papa and HeHe took Heath and Stella out for Chick-Fil-A dinner and playtime, while Mark and I enjoyed a little date night. Sushi. Redbox movie selecting. Ice cream half gallon purchasing (and now consuming) Nice.

Mark even said something this morning about my going to the Whitewater Center for some trail running on Monday, too. What?!?!?! Happy Labor Day to me. Unless, of course, he "forgot" that little offer. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages