Thursday, September 2, 2010

This Is Not A Drill

Apparently the kids really are starting school next week. I spent my evening at their school for the Parent Orientation. After a quick meeting in the auditorium with all staff and parents, we then moved to our child's classroom to meet with the teachers and fellow parents. I found myself somewhat stumped with what my next move should be. Do I go to Stella's class? Or Heath's?

I decided to go with Stella, after all, this is her first dip into solo social and educational exploration. Standing in her little classroom, the same classroom Heath was in for his 2's experience, it suddenly seemed very real that she was getting ready to embark on a very exciting adventure. I look forward to her having some time to play and talk and learn in an atmosphere where, well, Heath is somewhere else doing something else besides driving her a bit batty.

Quietly, I made my exit and headed over to the 4's class, session already in progress. His teachers were discussing appropriate lunches and labeling their belongings and hoping to steer away from commercial characters on clothing and cooking and woodworking. If it wasn't already clear to me, it certainly crystallized--I have some things to do before Tuesday.

1) Link my VIC card to the school. (Shhh...not that I go to Harris-Teeter.) Check.

2) Order my Mabel's Labels. Check.

3) Order a cup for Heath's lunchbox. Check.

4) Hide all of Heath's Spider-Man and Batman and IronMan clothing. (Good luck to me.)

5) Sew those motherflippin' school bags. (Fabric is still in the bag...I think I hear it making arm-pit fart noises at me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages