Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First Day...Phew.

Heath and Stella were more than happy to let me carry the bags I made them, so my dreams of taking pictures of their sweet faces, wearing their beloved backpacks handmade by mommy, standing by the school sign was quickly dashed. I did remember my camera, I just forgot to get it out while I dropped Heath off in his class. I told him I was leaving to take Stella to her room, without looking up from the puzzle he had immediately immersed himself in, he inquired, But I get to stay here, right?

Stella was more than hesitant about walking into her class. I think if it had been her choice, she would've been happy to stay and hang out in the 4's with brother. So I picked her up and walked across the 2's classroom threshold. She gave my hair a hearty yank. Clearly, she was displeased.

Just as quickly she toddled off to a basket full of cars and hunkered down to play. I told her I would be back in an hour. Gave her a peck on the head. Told her I loved her. Nothing. Vroom, vroom, went the car across the carpet. I looked back at her before I left the room. Still, nothing. (Sniff, sniff.)

Just as I was settling in nicely to a little child-free parent coffee at the school with the other moms and dads, I was summoned back to the 2's class. Stella needed some extra kisses and cuddles and some mommy-classroom-acclimation time. We talked to some of the other children. We played with some plastic piggies. We read Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? When it was time to get Heath, Stella was busy with the puzzles and not interested in leaving. I think with some more practice, she'll get into this whole school thing. Or I will be repeating the 2's class for the third time in my life.


Puzzler.

Puzzled.

Puzzling Heath.
When we made our way back to Heath's class to pick him up, Stella immediately ran to Heath and waved at her big brother. Hi, Heef, she said. Hi, Stella, Heath answered. And then they gave each other a very warm embrace.
Now, where, oh where, was my camera for that?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages