Friday, June 18, 2010

I See a Red Door and I Want It Painted Black...

Every Friday I am completely and utterly drained, and every Friday I am completely and utterly surprised (and oddly disappointed) at how drained I am. Blah.

No nap for Heath again today. And we had a birthday party at 3pm. At 2:20 his rambunctious, exuberant ways were becoming so appalling I wondered if we were even going to be able to make it out of the house. We did, and I am glad. Sometimes you just have to get the heck out.

Another Sports Connection party for a fellow preschool mate. I made a rookie mistake and left our socks at home. Fortunately the birthday girl had some sweet little pink and purple striped socks for Heath to borrow. He put them on and bounced like a maniac for an hour, then the party-goers were shuffled off to a room, passing through a sensory overload of a game area. Heath's pupils dilated as he ambled his way by the bright and blinking lights, and dings and dongs and blips and blizzles of computerized gaming noises. He was almost a goner, but he made his way to a seat that had a juice box waiting for him. They also got cupcakes and ice cream sandwiches. Both! What a treat!

When the party was over, I'd promised him ten minutes of game playing. He still has no idea that they require money to really play. He's happy to sit and push buttons and spin steering wheels. He totally thinks he's playing. And I am totally not going to tell him otherwise.

Just as we were leaving, after a minor loss of all emotional control at a police station game, his ears pricked and his eyes roamed--something got his attention in a big way. He took off running and stopped short at what appeared to be a sight to truly behold. I rounded the back of the game and came face to face with something I'd heard about, but had never witnessed with my own two eyes. Guitar Hero.

Guitar Hero being played by a teenaged boy. This kid was good. Actually, a pro, so the screen said when he finished a delightful, guitar-along with the Rolling Stones. And not just any Rolling Stones. Paint It Black Rolling Stones. When he finished, he put his initials in the top three players spot, then moved on to the Dead Kennedys, Holiday in Cambodia. (Are the kids still listening to DK?) Heath was mesmerized. And I tried to block out my roaming worry-mind of what the future holds for Heath and his Paint It Black phase. But when he's standing there, gazing with wonder and admiration, nodding his head ever-so-slightly, it's hard to not begin a mental list of boarding and military schools in the Carolinas and Virginia.

For now, he's snuggled up in his bed with Puppy, wearing his Spider-Man pajamas, looking very forward to the arrival of his Uncle and his cousins tomorrow morning. Happy Weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages