Tuesday, June 29, 2010

May "Mayday" Parker

I was ready to throw in the towel and cross the day off as beyond disorganized for Heath. All activities were met with protest (or wild, purposeless over-enthusiasm). All people who crossed his path were met with yelling and pushing. But at 6:20pm, bedtime seemed out of the question. Last ditch effort, I got out the Spider-Man puzzle I'd stumbled across when I went to the Dollar Store on Sunday. The Dollar Store is a sensory-activity gold mine. This puzzle loaded with pictures of Peter Parker and friends was worth a million.

He settled in. He paid attention. He placed pieces in wrong places. Didn't get frustrated. Maneuvered them around. Clapped when he filled in the correct spots to see Spider-Girl. (Did you know there was a Spider Girl? This was news to me. And it's not Peter's girlfriend. It's his daughter. I have so much to learn.) He took his time. Other distractions (Stella banging an ambulance on the table, Mark mopping up the dinner mess the two kiddies made) didn't rev him up. He was involved. And thrilled when all 25 pieces fit together perfectly. Phew.

I had somewhere to be by 7:30, and I left a calm Heath in the bathtub, exfoliating the tub with shaving cream and a long-handled loofah brush (more Dollar store miracles). Apparently everyone went to bed without a hitch.

Okay. I can do this again tomorrow. Deep breath. Very deep breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages