Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sweet, Sweet Blanket

After a warm and sunny afternoon at the park, I headed home with two happy and hungry kiddies, when suddenly I had a thought. I left Stella's blanket at the park. More than halfway home on the incredibly traffic-jammed Park Road, I made the less than easy maneuver to turn around and head back to get her beloved lovey.

There was no way I could hope for the best and just go back to the park tomorrow and find the blanket still there. Earlier in the day, after going to great lengths for Project Wash Stella's Blanket, it was clean with just twenty minutes left in the dryer. Then Stella, ready for a nap, tripped over a fire truck and was unable to shake her surprise off without the help of her blanket. After ten minutes of crying, I took the slightly damp blanket out of the dryer. Instant relief.

I knew it was a risky move when I let her take the blanket out of the car and into the park. Rarely does she even want to, but after her earlier MIA blanket episode, she wasn't letting it go without a fight. So, she took it in. Dragged it through the sand pit. Pulled it across the dirty sidewalks. Hung it around her neck and climbed UP the slide. Apparently, when no one was paying attention, she put it down on a picnic bench, and moved on to play solo.

Traffic going toward the park was next to nothing, so we quickly made it back. As we turned into the parking lot, I spotted the blanket, looking very lonely, on the bench. Covered in fresh dirt, Stella was thrilled to have it back in her possession. And even more thrilled to go night-night with it.

SNL in the 2000s is on...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages