Friday, July 9, 2010

Welcome to the Rock

We made it to Boone. Actually, the mountain house we're staying in is in Vilas, NC, about five minutes away from Boone. Fortunately the kids snoozed pretty much the entire way and I read A Rose for Emily, trying to ready myself for my book club chat. (My book club of two people. Two people who were in Freshman English together nearly, uh, twenty years ago. I already have many comments, and even more questions.)

The Ropkos are sharing the house with four other people. Three guys and a gal. The four boys will be running the marathon in the morning. The start is at 6:30am. I will not be there at that time

We made it to the packet pick-up this afternoon. It was at the ASU campus stadium. Welcome to the Rock, it says. I googled ASU the Rock. My search was fruitless. They're also the Mountaineers. That, I get. The kids had a great time running up and down the field, round and round the track. The track and field was surprisingly squishy and soft on the ole bones. Too bad the marathon isn't on astro-turf.

Everyone is carbed up and ready to go. (I am, too.) I plan to take the kids to the campus and do a little baby jogging before I try to find our spot to do a little spectating. I wasn't going to attempt to see them along the course, because it's somewhat discouraged. They run on trails. They run on the Parkway. They run single file. Up a mountain. With traffic. This I need to see.

One of America's toughest marathons. That's a quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages