Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Can You Dig It?

Wednesday is usually my day off from running, but when it's nearly 70 in January, I can't resist going out. No gloves, no hats, no jackets. I didn't have to think twice about being sufficiently layered. What a joy.

Do I have to wear socks? Heath asked, when I handed him his Crocs.

Not today. This made him clap.

And no weather shield on the baby jogger. They were so thrilled to have the wind in their hair, they both sat super-straight upright and waved at all the people and cars passing. Hi, they yelled in unison.

I just checked weather.com. 45 and rainy tomorrow. Glad I went. And really glad Heath was able to get out and dig his hole twice today.

My mom brought cherries over today and as they pitted each one, Heath made a pile. Apparently my mom (HeHe) suggested the pits could be planted in a garden. As soon as Heath was set free in the backyard, the digging commenced. Every now and then he would stop his digging, take a step back to survey his work, and say, I'm just digging a hole, mom. Then he would hunker back down and continue the shoveling.

When I told him it was lunchtime, he said, Well, I'm just working on this, but I'll come eat, then I gotta get back to work.

He ate a huge lunch. Four ham rolls, two helpings of macaroni and cheese, and countless apple slices. I'm so hungry from working so hard, he said, rubbing his belly.

Fortunately for me, all that hole diggin' tuckered the little guy out and for the first time in two days, he took a nap. Phew!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages