Friday, January 29, 2010

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow

Much better day. Heath helped me make potato soup this morning. He's becoming quite the little chef. He particularly liked washing the potatoes and adding the dashes of salt and pepper. At some point Mark called and suggested we not wait to do a weekend grocery store trip, in light of the possible snow and ice. I think I got hoodwinked into taking care of the dreaded task.

It wasn't so bad in terms of moods. Mine and the kids. But it was insanely crowded for a Friday morning. Everyone was buying milk and bread and beer and wine and ice cream and all those things that a person might need to hunker down for a winter storm. Too bad we won't get one.

But it was all very reminiscient of growing up here in Charlotte. These were days before Harris-Teeter and Trader Joe's. Food Lion was called Food Town, and they hadn't been busted for bleaching bad meat yet. Winn-Dixie was a popular choice, as well. That's where my mom shopped and anytime the threat of storm approached, you better believe we headed to the Winn-Dixie for bread and milk. I remember the shelves being completely wiped clean. And once a year, the predictions were true. We would get snow. A lot of snow. And school would be out for a week. And the world would just kind of, stop. I miss those days.

I got a surprise call from a friend this afternoon. She and her husband were in need of a sitter this evening for their 2 and a half year old. Heath and Stella joined me for the first hour of my time, and were terribly sad to head back home with Daddy. After the sweet little girl went to bed, I obsessively scrolled through many, many cable channels, lighting on nothing for very long.

I watched Grease, Along Came Polly, and Great Expectations. Then I turned to MTV and watched My Life as Liz and Teen Mom. These shows made me feel incredibly grateful that our children are 3 and 1. I am not at all prepared for teenagers.

Who knows, maybe it will snow all night and we'll wake up to wintery quiet that only snow can bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages