Monday, January 25, 2010

Free the Lobsters!

Oh boy, another no-nap day. The early part of the evening was wrought with meltdowns. Fortunately, none of them were mine. I was very relieved to have somewhere I needed to be this evening, so Daddy was on his own. It's always nice to come home to a quiet house, full of sleeping children.

I can't complain, though, because Heath was downright angelic during my visit at school. I guess he held it all in, leaving himself in a puddle of pent-up emotions when we got home.

The smoothie making was a hit and so fun to watch. They all cut up their fruit with their plastic ware, some using various ends of the knife. Many choosing to toss a little greenery from the strawberry cap into the blender. They huddled up to watch it whirl.

At lunchtime they sit at little tables, on little chairs. Some eat their lunch quietly, taking slow deliberate bites. Others (like mine), seem to STAND BY their chair, as opposed to sitting. They're all pretty silent at first, unpacking everything. Then the chatting begins.

This is my sister's cup. I'm eating all my chips. I have ham rolls. (Mine, again. Heath and those ham rolls.) I like turkey. I like turkey, too.

They discuss the pictures hanging on the walls. Who painted that? What's that say? That's a lobster. Where's the lobster?

There was a poster hanging on a wall with various pictures of sea life. A lobster was in one shot. One little girl was intrigued by the picture of the lobster and had to move in for a closer look. Then she turned to me, got as near to my face as she could, and said:

Some people put lobsters in a pot and they cry so I don't eat lobsters because they are sad in the pot. And they catch the lobsters and put them in the pot. Do you like lobster?

I was very relieved that I don't eat lobster. Not for any humane reason. I simply don't like the taste. No, I don't eat lobster.

She nodded her head. That's good.

I'm glad there wasn't a picture of a dolphin. I would've been busted on the tuna campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages