Sunday, January 10, 2010

Memories...Like the Corners of My Mind...

Okay, so I can barely concentrate on this blog because of a silly little 20 year anniversary show for The Simpsons. D'oh! It makes me feel quite old. Not because of the 20 years, but because this is the second time today that I have had a Has it been X amount of years? moment.

The first happened while I was six miles into my 8 mile run this morning. Still, it was pretty cold this morning, cold enough to spot a frozen patch of ice and for some reason I thought about the time I slipped on some ice in the parking lot of Bub O'Malley's, landed on a wooden post and cracked a couple of ribs.

Then I tried to remember exactly when this happened. I know it was January, because it was the start of a new semester. But did it happen before Kurt Cobain died or after. Why his death is such a time marker for me, I'll never quite understand.

I smoked Camel Lights back then and obsessively used the stair master at the Student Rec Center. My Sports Walkman was bright yellow and waterproof and I always listened to mixed tapes I spent hours making.

It was after Kurt Cobain died. January 1996 and I was living in an apartment on Airport Road, trying desperately to finish my undergrad degree. One last class. Logic. This was the second time I'd taken Logic. The first time was actually another Bub O'Malley's related debacle.

The night before the final exam I thought it would be reasonable, perhaps, Logical, to study for my Logic exam at Bub O'Malley's. They had big, dark booths. It smelled like skunk beer, but I rather enjoyed that fragrance. And if I'm not mistaken, they had a cigarette machine that took quarters.

I never made it to that exam the next morning. That was 15 years ago.

The cracked ribs--14 years ago.

I finished my 8 miles feeling quite good, ready to try for ten next weekend. The family went to a postponed New Year's party at Mr. Cleve's this evening. The kids had a great time and were definitely ready for bed.

I, myself, am ready to watch an episode of Six Feet Under.

1 comment:

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages