Thursday, January 28, 2010

Thank You, Mr. Interior Monologue

Disagreeable, teething toddler. Clocked in the mouth by a monster truck. Day 4 of Heath's nap fast. A visit to the park that resulted in multiple egregious acts and one lame attempt at a public time-out. The mail came unusually early. Not such a problem, except I was late getting the return Netflix envelope out. Snookered into eating out at Salsa's with two (make that three... Okay, four) overtired children. And J.D. Salinger died.

Not too long ago I read something, somewhere, about a woman who would go through her day saying, I get to...instead of, I have to. Apparently this simple twist in phrasing was enough to change her perception, her heart, and her day.

So, let me try this again.

I played in the backyard with Heath and Stella this morning, taking advantage of the bright sunshine. Heath wanted to play hide-and-seek. He's terrible at it. I would hide my eyes and count to ten. Ready or not, here I come.

I'm right here, you found me, he would immediately yell. He hadn't moved anywhere. Stella didn't help much either. She would stand by him while I counted, saying, Bubba, Bubba.

After a nearly warm 3.6 run today, we met our friends at the park. It was crowded for the first time in a while. Shortly into our visit, Heath pushed Stella down. Before I said a word, he started heavy breathing and puffing his cheeks. He was overwhelmed and finding his breath.

And I didn't have to cook dinner or clean anything up. Kiddies in bed by 8pm and 30 Rock is on tonight.

I get to try it all again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages