Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Golf...Ladies...Hmmm...This Story is Starting to Sound Familiar

Because I was born in Charlotte, and lived the first eighteen years of my life here, it's easy to ride around town and point out various historical markers in my life as a kid growing up in the Queen City. And Heath has taken a particular interest in the fact that I was once his age, and loves to hear my tales of being a little girl. Anytime we're in the car, Heath and Stella hear, Mommy used to (fill in the blank) there.

I've explained that there wasn't a Target. Not in Ballentyne. Not in Midtown. We had to settle for K-Mart on South Boulevard. Or Richway on Tyvola. They both had Cherry Icee machines and the butteriest popcorn that would put any movie theater's popcorn to shame, and took multiple hand-washings to remove.

The beloved steam train at Freedom Park is always a popular attraction for Heath. His eyes almost popped out of his head when I told him that they used to have a red caboose you could play on, too. I, of course, left out the sordid details about the teenaged goings-on that took place after dark that led to its eventual demise.

My Junior and Senior High Schools aren't far from our house. Every time we pass them, I tell the kids, That's where Mommy went to school. Lately Heath's response has been, Why? I tell him about reading books and being on the newspaper staff and being absolutely dreadful at Math, and thank goodness for the Swim Team. He adds, I'm going to play football. I suggest various other activities, in addition to football. He says, No, thank you, just football.

This evening as we were driving down Park Rd., heading home from our afternoon at the park, he insisted on having his window down so he could feel the wind. Just as we were passing Park Road Park, he threw his little arm out the window, pointed wildly at the tennis courts and yelled, Hey, when I was your age, I used to play golf there with all the ladies.

Why golf, I have no idea. It is the spot where Mark and I played tennis when we were first dating. It's never been mentioned on my tour of Charlotte with Heath and Stella. My only guess is Mark has at some time pointed out this particular landmark. Perhaps Mark played tennis there with all the ladies when he was Heath's age. I will have to ask him when he gets home.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages