Thursday, March 11, 2010

Not Bad for a Rainy Thursday

Today was one of those extremely rare days when the household ran like a well-oiled machine. We had our morning milk and coffee without anyone getting pushed off the bed. Breakfast was consumed in a nearly polite manner. When our list of morning errands (grocery store, Target, gas station) was rattled off, no one refused to put on clothes, or threw themselves on the floor in protest. And I was able to strap everyone down in their car seats without the mud puddle by the driveway sucking anyone in.

And it pretty much went that way all day. Plus or minus a few minor transgressions. (The mud puddle was eventually not left alone. Neither was Stella.) But I'll take it.

Our neighbor/friend went into labor early this morning. I had a few phone conversations about this throughout the day. I told Heath that Miss Dana would have the baby sometime today. When Heath woke up from his nap, I was checking my phone to see if there was any news.

When he asked me what I was doing, I said, Checking to see if Miss Dana had the baby.

He took a deep breath and said, Did her water break yet?

I was surprised by his informed question. I guess he wasn't just playing trains when I was talking on the phone. Yes, yes, her water broke.

Is she pushing the baby out? he asked, making a big push motion with his hands.

She is, I said, feeling curious about the direction of this conversation, and not entirely sure how to address all that could come up.

He paused for a minute, grabbed Puppy's ear, and scrunched his mouth to the right side. Wow, I gotta go potty.

Guess all that water/pushing talk got to him.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages