Tuesday, March 9, 2010

So Springy

9:30am and it was already 64 degrees. I ran in short-sleeves this morning. My foot was smarting more than I would've liked, but the warmth made it completely and totally worth the pain.

After school I decided we needed to continue taking advantage of the gorgeous outside time, so we played in the backyard before naps. The three of us climbed into the tree house, or castle, or spaceship, or boat, or pirate boat, or (for today) Heath's work truck.

We lugged various tools up the ladder into the truck to head off to the job site. We've got houses to work on, Heath announced, carrying a glue spreader he found in the tool shed.

In the middle of the heavy duty house work, Heath said, I gotta get in my truck and go pick up my girlfriend.

Who is your girlfriend? I asked.

A girl at school.

What's her name?

He took a deep breath. I was asking too many questions. But I wasn't going to leave this one alone, so I asked it again. What's her name?

Emily, he sighed, and tried not to smile.

Emily? No one in his class is named Emily. I don't know an Emily in your class.

She's in the 4s class. She plays on the playground. He looked down at his hand and got a serious look on his face. Sorry, mom, I have to take this call. It's my girlfriend.

He stepped down the ladder, put his cell phone hand to his ear, and began pacing back and forth. You did? You did?! Well, I gotta get back to work. He closed his pretend phone and put it back in his pocket.

When I asked him what she "did," he shook his head, rolled his eyes, and said, I got work to do.

Women.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages