Sunday, March 7, 2010

Is it Sunday Night Already?

I can't believe what I just saw. 69 and sunny tomorrow. My winter-chilled body might actually begin to thaw.

When Mark suggested he take the kids to Freedom Park this morning while I do whatever I felt like doing, I said, Why, sure...sounds good.

It was too sunny to resist heading out for a quick 3 miles. And it was good to work out some post-race kinks. Then I attacked the necessary, but less fun, task of desicking and defunking our house.

Mark and the kids came back at noon for some lunch. Then Heath and I headed out for a birthday party, while Mark stayed home for Stella's nap. The party was at 2:30, smack in the middle of Heath's usual naptime. I tried to stay optimistic about his mood and headed out to Ballentyne in search of Sports Connection, the party locale.

Before I knew it, Heath's head was bobbing in his car seat. I could even hear the beginnings of some snoring over the roar of the wind flowing into the open sunroof. He was OUT. I'd left a little early for the party, because I knew this might happen. So I did some Sunday joy-riding.

Down 521. Onto Ardrey Kell. Passing shopping area, after shopping area. All unchartered territory for me, so when Ardrey Kell ended, I pretty much had no idea where I was. Heath was still snoring up a storm, and drooling just a bit. I felt like a left turn was a good idea. So glad I did, because it turned out I was on Providence Road. I wound my way back around to Ardrey Kell. Past shopping area, after shopping area. And not the same shopping areas the first time around. These were totally different shops and restaurants.

Fortunately I found my way back to Sports Connection, and Heath managed to get a 20 minute or so snooze. And most fortunate was the fact that Heath was in a decent mood when I woke him up to go into the birthday party zone.

Sports Connection. What a venue. He got a few minutes in the bounce area. Then the birthday group was moved on to bowling. I wasn't sure how that was going to go. He's never bowled before, but is a big fan of taking a ball and throwing it with all his might. And throw, he did. Down his aisle. Down the aisle beside him. Down the aisle on the other side of him.

Pretty soon we were shuffled off to the party room for cake. On the way we passed by the video games. Race cars. Motorcycles. Guns. He nearly tripped on himself, looking around at all the flashing screens. I kept having to direct him back into the line to get him to the party room. Cake and Matchbox car party favors. A little boy's dream afternoon.

And I ended my evening with a Mom's Night Out with a couple of friends, while Mark took the kids to celebrate Goma's birthday.

It's official. I am bleary-eyed. (But maybe not too bleary-eyed to have some ice cream.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages