Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Feels like Wednesday Already

When Heath woke up this morning he immediately told me he was NOT going to school, he did NOT want me to go to school with him, and he was NOT going to change out of his pajamas. I took a few deep breaths and continued on preparing breakfast and getting ready to be at school with him for the morning. After some milk and eggs, he mellowed a bit and got dressed (with a slight compromise on the pj wearing. His Lightening McQueen night-shirt stayed on under a different t-shirt). It also helped when I told him I would pack an Apple Carrot Crusher in his lunchbox, and if he didn't come to school, I would be going without him and eating the Apple Carrot Crusher myself.

As soon as we arrived at the school playground, Heath was delighted to find a slew of Fire Fighter, EMT and Paramedic costumes to wear. He immediately put a hat and jacket on, and transformed into Rescue mode. I'm here to save the day, he announced. He and his friends responded to many emergencies. Fires--some lasting two weeks. Kitty cats in trees. Garbage trucks stuck in the mud.

As the morning moved on, Heath eventually removed his uniform, then quickly snatched a basketball from a playmate and took off running. The friend zoomed after him, saying, That's not sharing. That's not sharing.

Heath turned around, faced the friend and said, Can I have a turn?

The friend said, Okay.

Heath promptly chucked the ball over the side of the fence.

About this time, we moved inside, stopping for a bathroom break. While everyone was waiting their turn to take care of whatever business they needed to take care of, Heath decided to lift up his t-shirt to show a girl his Lightening McQueen pj top.

Look at this, he said, proudly.

The girl grimaced. I don't think I'm going to like things that boys are going to show me, she said.

During circle time, everyone attentively listened to How Fletcher was Hatched. One girl showed me her pink nails. My sister's nails are pink, too, she whispered.

Did you paint them? I asked.

Oh no, I'd make a mess.

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Writing Tutor and Creative Writing Workshops: All ages